Sunday, December 19, 2010

Where Has Lynn Been?

Oh my, how long can one go without blogging before she is tossed into the blog bone pile?  Well... aparently a very long time... I wasn't sure if I could find my page or not.  Then there is the perverbial question 'where is my password'?  (I am not a good speller, so if there is a misspell just use phonics & deal with it!) 

Arriving at this spot I found lots of changes that could be made... BUT - I am proud to have come here before 2010 is completely gone, I will have blogged in 2010!

So, where have I been and what on earth have I been doing?  Much too much to bore you with details.  So, let's just hop into the fun stuff to report, the reason this page was created!  I just hop from obsession to obsession in art and creativity.  I never get tired of learning... does any artist?

This year I have continued to keep our postcard group going full speed with the help of a wonderful gal, Alice, who has just done a fabulous job with moderating & keeping fresh swaps going.  Honestly, I think I would have had to abandon the whole thing and close the group without her.  Thankfully, our 'family' stayed in tact and we will be even stronger in 2011.

We have an art group formed here in Indianapolis.  We try to meet once a month.  Whoever hosts the group also shares whatever creativity she has and demonstrates lots of techniques for us.  We are able to experience 'hands on' fun with most demonstrations.  Our group is growing so it is anyone guess how much longer we can meet in homes, but for the immediate future, that is what we are doing... that is, when we are not meeting at a local coffee shop or restaurant for show and tell and chatter.

I have taken a workshop from Esterita Austin... if you do not know what she does, go see her fabulous work!  A fun, and very different workshop in mixed media is my latest 'obsession'.  A local artist Jill Metz offered a workshop a few weeks ago.  We all completed a canvas with all kinds of techniques.  It is an exaggerated form of decoupage but it is NOT your grandmothers decoupage and I would encourage everyone who loves to play with paper, fabric, scissors, glue, paint, found objects, yadda, yadda, yadda.. to find a class or begin a search and step out of your comfort zone in 2011. 

Early in the spring I visited with Phil Beaver in French Lick, IN.  He is a gracious host.  He has displayed and been a favorite at Paducah & Houston, he is a retired art teacher who has   traveled internationally with his teaching techniques and wonderful quilted & handpainted art... he now has a studio built in back of his home where he does outstanding oil paintings of much of southern Indiana... a must see!  If you EVER go through southern Indiana, you REALLY owe it to your self (and Phil) to stop by to say 'hello'. 

I have made jewelry this year... yes, a real stretch from fabric, canvas and paint... delightful experience and one I want to continue.  I have even made jewelry from old t-shirts.  I've worked in clay and dabbled with the idea of ceramics... now that should get your interest!

I will begin posting info from our local gatherings & a few techniques in 2011.  My goal is to post once a month as we gather locally and have fresh ideas & techniques.  We started out to share postcards and ideas ... that has expanded to full size quilts down to tiny inchies, art quilts, totes, canvases, greeting cards, string art, sewing and stamping on everything from cardstock, paper, soda cans, boxes... you name it, we can stamp & color on anything!  We paint, dye fabric... curious? Plan a weekend trip to Indy for one of our crazy get togethers OR just stay tuned for more info as 2011 unfolds.

Be blessed in this most blessed season.  Remember the Reason for the season.  Practice being grateful.  Love someone who does not expect it or deserve it.  Create something unexpected.  Color outside the lines.

Have a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Totty Teabag said...

Welcome back to Blogland Lynn; you may have been gone, but you were not forgotten!

Totty Teabag said...

Welcome back to Blogland,Lynn; you may have been gone, but you were not forgotten.

ACreativeDreamer said...

Just wanted to drop over and see what you have going on, and thank you for dropping by my blog... I'll be watching to see what develops in 2011!

A tired retired recluse @ Swallowcliffs.blogspot.com/ said...

I will look forward to reading about your adventures!